Saatchi Gallery in the Duke of York's HQ
On October 9, 2008, after moving out of County Hall, the Saatchi Gallery opened its new premises, described in The Observer as one of "the most beautiful art spaces in London", in the Duke of York's HQ. The building was completed in 1801 to the designs of John Sanders, who also designed the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst. The building was originally called the Royal Military Asylum and was a school for the children of soldiers' widows. In 1892 it was renamed the Duke of York's Royal Military School. In 1909, the school moved to new premises in Dover, and the Asylum building was renamed the Duke of York's Barracks. The site was vacated in 2003.